• Cemeteries
      - Greenwood
      -
Oakland
      -
Star
      - Other Cemeteries

     • City of Shreveport
      - Shreveport 1830s-1860
      - Shreveport 1865-1900 
 
    - Yellow Fever
      -  Oil and Gas

     • Lakes and Rivers
      - Caddo Lake
      -
Great Raft
      - Red River
      -
Other Lakes

     • Towns and Cities
      -
Belcher
      -
Bethany
      -
Blanchard
      -
Dixie
      -
Gilliam
      -
Greenwood
      -
Hosston
      -
Ida
      -
Keithville
      -
Mira
      -
Montery
      -
Mooringsport
      -
Myrtis
      -
Oil City
      -
Rodessa
      -
Trees City
      -
Vivian





 







 



 

 

   

 Home | LSUS | Parish of Caddo | Contact Us

 

Bethany
 

Located just along the Texas-Louisiana border is the small, fading community of Bethany.  Formerly called Lickskillet, the town began with the pioneers who saw the area as the perfect stop for a wagon train because of the spring water nearby.  These early settlers, traveling to Texas and other areas West, cooked their food over a campfire in iron pots.  According to local lore the pots were licked clean by the travelers or the dogs that traveled with them.  By 1915 the town began to prosper with two cotton gins, blacksmith shops, general stores, seven saloons, an ice cream parlor, and even a telephone exchange. The Bethany Methodist Church was the only church in the town and was used by both Methodists and Baptists.1

Although the name changed, some of the town’s features retain the original name, such as the thoroughbred breeding farm, Lickskillet Plantation, and the Lickskillet Old Time Store, operated by George and Diane DeDual.2

The Civic Club sponsors the Lickskillet Arts and Crafts Festival in the Bethany Community Center.  The event includes live bands, food booths, and exhibits by local artists and craftsmen.3


 

References
                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                                            

 


 

Back to Top

Parish of Caddo 2004©

Images provided by LSUS Archive and website content written by Monica Pels