Perry Keith, for whom the town is named, bought several
plots of land for settlers in 1874.
Keith was a member of the Caddo Parish School Board, the
president of the Caddo Parish Police Jury, and the Caddo
Parish Representative to the Legislature for nearly 15
In the community’s prime, he also owned a hotel, which
doubled as his residence. A general store, railroad
depot, post office, cotton gin, church, and Masonic
lodge served the community of about 200 people in 1885.
Perry Gin began operating in the 1890s.
A small church was organized in 1840 with a
log building being constructed on donated land along the
south side of Colquitt Road. Once a month, Reverend J.
M. Alford traveled by buggy to Friendship
Church, then located three miles northwest of
Keithville, from his home in Grand Cane. Although the
church no longer stands, a part of its former
congregation remains in the white, steepled structure of
Because of a shift in population, the present location
was contemplated. The church divided into four
churches: Stonewall United Methodist Church, Caddo
latter is the only active one, remaining in the church
that was built in 1903 under the direction of Tom
Hudnall. It opened its doors on
October 16, 1904.
The kerosene lamps and wood stoves have given way to
electricity and modern heating and cooling. The full
width pews were made by Allan Lumber Company on Texas
Avenue in Shreveport and were hauled by wagon to the
church. The pews were cut in half and divided into two
sections within the church. Gladys Howard Haygood
donated the Sylvester family Bible that is within the
church; Sylvester had been a judge in South Caddo.
Back to Top